Mother-In-Law to the Rescue

My Daughter-In-Law asked me last night if I had a shawl she could borrow for a wedding. I didn’t have the right colour one, so I volunteered (as a really early Christmas present) to make her one.

Then I found out it was for a formal wedding.

In June.

Less than a month away.

In black.

GULP! Determined to prove that not all MIL’s are nasty creatures, I toddled off to Zellers last night to buy the yarn. They had some lovely Bernat So Soft, so I bought it. I started the shawl and then realized it was going to be way too heavy for a June wedding.

So I put it aside and went stash diving. I found some 3 ply Kroy(ish) yarn in the stash. I’m not sure what it is as it’s a mill end bag that I bought at the Spinrite tent sale last year, but I have TONS of it and it’s a nice light weight. This is sock weight yarn, so it’s very thin. I got four rows of the shawl done last night. Only around 300 more to go. The good thing is the shawl is worked from the top down, so it will get quicker as I go.

I like this pattern so much that I’ll finish the Bernat one for me for a spring/fall shawl.

Here’s the one I’m doing for Cathy. Will post pictures tonite/tomorrow and as I progress.

I did find an error on the first row of the pattern and have emailed the owner to let her know. The instructions say: Row 1:Sc in 9th ch from hook, ch 1, sk 1 ch, sc in next ch, (ch 3, sk 2 ch, dc in next ch, sk 1 ch, dc in next ch, ch 3, sk 1 ch, sc in next ch, ch 1, sk 1 ch, sc in next ch) across until you have fewer than 10 ch left, ch 3, sk 2 ch, dc in next ch, turn.

There should be a ch1 between the two dc’s because the next row tells you to work in the ch 1 between the dc’s, but there isn’t one there to work in.

Related Posts